Friday, May 1, 2009

Busy Lizzie Plant

Our days just got a bit busier. Which is too bad, since I came here to relax and shut out the world. Oh, I came here to learn Spanish?¿? Well...fine then.

We decided a few days ago that we have too much down time, specifically in the afternoons, so we inquired at our Spanish school about volunteer options she was aware of, and yesterday she took us to a center for children, specifically for those who can´t pay. School here lasts only for half the day, and the other half of the day the children are free. This center offers more education for them, teaching them a number of things such as cooking, sewing, Mathematics, English, and Spanish. Each session lasts for an hour and a half, and we´ll be helping with Mathematics and English for one session each afternoon. For the first week I´ll help with Math and Elizabeth with English, and then the following week we´ll switch. If everything goes as planned. Which is actually quite an assumption, but we´ll see.

All this means that we´ll wake up at 7 each morning, have breakfast at 7:30, work at the clinic 8-12, run a few errands or study (or sleep) until lunch at 1, leave for the center at 2, get back to the house around 5 or 5:30, and have dinner at 7. Yowza. We really will be busy. It´s good though. They were really excited to have help with the English class...whereas we were worried that ironically we would go to practice Spanish and end up practicing English. But they´ll need explanations in Spanish, so it should be fine.

Truth be told, my mouth goes a bit dry at the thought of not having Elizabeth to fall back on when someone tries to speak to me. I understand people just fine when they´re talking to her, but when they speak to me I tend to stare at them blankly. I´ve gotten in the habit of just turning pointedly towards Elizabeth when they´re done speaking. So I guess it´ll be good for me.

And this all brings me to my complaint: Why is it that wherever we go, there´s a way Elizabeth can help in the area of her profession, but not for me and mine?¿? Of course there´s a center where we can help teach English. Why isn´t there a place where we can teach music? Why isn´t there a music theory session?¿? Personally, I think it´s Elizabeth´s plot to take over the world. And need I mention there´s a cannon right next to the central park here? Yeah. ´Nuff said.

Did ew know...?
Busy Lizzies are succulent.
Thank you for choosing Lod´s Little Tidbits, and have a nice day.

4 comments:

  1. If busy Lizzies are succulent, what are lazy Lizzies? And what about lazy Lods? And, why haven't we seen a picture of the cannon, or any other pictures for that matter? I'll bet if you could find a piano somewhere you could provide some education/entertainment in your chosen career.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about relying on someone else for language. I was in a sign language class today, and the kids were being quizzed a little bit. I was at the front of class as usual, and when the teacher would sign something the kids didn't understand they would blankly stare at me like..PLEASE show me what do do, or tell me what to sign...I had a hard time NOT helping. I should have just shut my eyes and sat on my hands! I'm glad you'll get time time grow in your spanish-ness! GO TEAM GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I want to know is, why is she a Lizzie PLANT now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's because not enough people value or understand the need for music like you do, and God wants YOU to start things involving it. just like me and social justice and compassion work. I have to spark it, if it's not already in place. same goes for you, little missy.

    ReplyDelete